Sunday, July 6, 2014

Comments by 2014 Bishir Prize winner: Amber Wiley

My formal introduction to Dunbar High School was in 2006.  I had an interest in visiting this prestigious institution, one of the many black institutions in Washington, D.C. that my grandfather would talk about when I visited him at his home in LeDroit Park, simply to soak up the history of its hallowed halls.  Upon arrival to the address listed on the school’s webpage, I was greeted by a stark, ominous 1970s school building, one that in no way resembled the image of Dunbar that I had fashioned in my mind – red brick, white trim.  I was immediately pushed by questions to understand what I was seeing:  “What is this?  When did this happen?  Who thought this was a good idea?”  My research was also pushed by early assumptions: “Clearly this was not something the community wanted, this was forced upon the community by an outside agent.”  When I set upon the task of answering the questions and buoying my assumptions, I discovered that not only was I wrong about the agents of change, but that in a particular time and place – post-riot Washington D.C. – the design of the 1970s Dunbar school represented a new form of Black power.  This new form appropriated the leading avant-garde designs promoted by architecture and educational journals, while espousing a rhetoric of change and egalitarianism that was very important in the transitioning politics of Home Rule in the nation’s capital.  I was overwhelmed and fascinated by the conversations about the meaning of design that were happening in the African American community.  This was the type of dialogue that I longed to hear about, but rarely was exposed to in my formal architectural education.